Wednesday, May 13

USDA Announces $30 Million Available for Producers to Develop New Products

Baton Rouge, La. – Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack, recently announced that USDA is making $30 million available nationally to farmers, ranchers and food entrepreneurs to develop new product lines. Funding will be made available through USDA’s Value-Added Producer Grant (VAPG) program.

“Farmers and ranchers are creative people who, with a little help, can put that creativity to work and improve the bottom line for their operations,” Vilsack said. “Value-Added Producer Grants enable them to develop new product lines to grow their businesses and expand their contributions to our nation’s economy. This support is especially important for beginning farmers, military veterans engaging in farming and smaller farm operations participating in the local and regional food system.”

More information on how to apply is on page 26528 of the May 8 Federal Register. The deadline to submit paper applications is July 7. Electronic applications submitted through are due July 2.

VAPG grants can be used to develop new product lines from raw agricultural products or additional uses for already developed product lines. Military veterans, socially disadvantaged, and beginning farmers and ranchers; operators of small- and medium-sized family farms and ranches; farmer and rancher cooperatives; and applicants that propose mid-tier value chain projects are given special priority in applying for VAPGs. Additional priority is given to group applicants who seek funding for projects that “best contribute” to creating or increasing marketing opportunities for these type of operators.

For more information on the VAPG program, visit
Before you apply: Request a Data Universal Number System (DUNS) number if your organization doesn’t already have one. Register your organization with the System for Award Management (SAM) if you aren’t already registered. Remember, you’ll need your DUNS number to complete your registration. Also, make a note of your CAGE code and expiration date because you’ll need those for your application.
Additional requirements: You need to read the Federal Register notice for the details on what is needed for an application. You may also need to fill out required forms.  You can get copies of those forms from your nearest Rural Development Office.
For questions in Louisiana, visit or the State Office at 3727 Government Street, Alexandria, LA 71302 or call 318-473-7920 | 844-325-6950.

No comments: