Promoting Sustainable Communities
Baton Rouge, La. – The Southern University Agricultural Land-Grant Campus will host a symposium themed, ‘One Health Symposium: Promoting Sustainable Communities.’ The event will be held April 12 – 13, 2018 at the Southern University Law Center.
The 'One Health' concept is a worldwide strategy for expanding interdisciplinary collaborations and communications in all aspects of health care for humans, animals and the environment.
This symposium, which is free and open to the public, will bring the various disciplines of the One Health community - medicine, veterinary medicine, public health, social sciences, nutrition, food science, engineering, agricultural and environmental sciences – together to improve the health of people, animals and the planet.
Participants will have an opportunity to come together and share strategies as well as learn about the latest educational tools and resources which could facilitate the improvement of their health, the health of their animals - both pets and livestock - and the overall health of the environment.
Sessions during the symposium will include:
- Bacterial Diseases and Zoonosis
- Community and Economic Development
- Designing Health Communities
- Developing a healthy and vibrant food system in Louisiana
- Diversity in the Health Care Field
- Economics and Health Disparities
- Environmental Health
- Exercise, weight loss and well-being. Is weight loss imperative to obtain wellness?
- Health Equity: “Health Care for all”
- Healthy Child Development
- Human Animal Bond
- Human Disease Prevention and Intervention
- Louisiana Opioid Epidemic
- Mental Health Issues
- Pet Equity
- The Effects of Nutrition Policy on Population Health
- The Science of Human “Sense of Taste and Health Diet”
- True Care Health and Wellness “Healing with Herbs”
This is the ideal event for new and beginning farmers, agricultural business owners, community leaders, non-profit and community based organizations, pet owners, students, faculty, staff and anyone eager to learn!
The symposium is also designed to increase the marketability of the students in the SU College of Agricultural, Family and Consumer Sciences, while exposing them to individuals in their respective professions.
Students will participate in FASpitch (elevator pitch), Oral, and/or Poster competitions. The students will also be able to participate in student ‘HUDDLEs’ where they will meet with agency representatives, academicians, and practitioners one-on-one to share their experiences and learn about job and scholarship opportunities.
A highlight of this symposium will be a ribbon cutting for the SU Land-Grant Campus’ three institutes - the Southern Institute for One Health One Medicine, the Southern Institute for Medicinal Plants, and the Southern Institute for Food Science, Nutrition and Wellness.
For additional information about the symposium or to register, visit www.suagcenter.com/symposium.